Sunday, November 15, 2009

Stone Temple Pilots - Regina, Saturday November 14, 2009


Photo by Ryan Prosper

With: Crash Kings
City: Regina, SK
Door Time: 7:00 PM
Venue: Evraz Place

When it comes to big rock shows I wait for months in anticipation. So telling you that I get a little excited would be an understatement. The Stone Temple Pilots show at Evraz Place was going to be no different. For the last couple months I had been counting down sleeps, much as I did before for Social D. I was stoked to the point of being nauseous Saturday afternoon. I had heard rumours around town that the boys in the band had quit three quarters of the way through previous sets and no showed gigs and such. The reviews from previous towns were dismal. I really hoped the band would "SHOW UP" to Regina.

I have always been a fan of Stone Temple Pilots. Depending on the day the only band from that era that can take their title for favourite '90's band is Alice in Chains... I said "depending on the day". That being said with AIC's new singer, STP have cemented their place as my favourite 90's band.

In the early days of STP critics referred to the band as "grunge imitators" and "Pearl Jam rip-offs". I will probably get lynched for saying this but for the record I feel STP are miles ahead of of Pearl Jam in respects to their coolness factor and rock ass ability, but hey I have never been a huge Pearl Jam fan to start with.

Again, the months of anticipation leading up the show were trying ones. I didn't think that the day would ever arrive. However, believe it or not they day would arrive. The hours dragged on like weeks. Saturday afternoon was a long one to get through. Finally the countdown would trail off as my buddies Murray, Trevor, Ramone and I would be ready for the show.

So the four of us met at the Freehouse around 5pm and festivities would start. Friends Stacey and Kevin would join us for a bit. Kevin pointed out that with Scott's track record that one day we will be able to look at Scott as our generations Jim Morrison. That's a pretty cool thought when for me the only man that rivals Weiland is Skid Row's Sebastian Bach. Seeing Velvet Revolver on the "Libertad" tour a couple years ago makes this the second time being able to see one such idol.

So some eats and a couple of beers later and the boys and I were off to the Evraz Place (FYI It's still the Agridome to me). By the time we got there, everyone had their pre-show piss or whatever, looked at and opted out of merch, got beer and mingled with friends. We had missed most of the opening band the Crash Kings set. From checking them out on line before and seeing their last couple songs I have a pretty good idea what the band was like. They are reminiscent of Jack's Mannequin meets Black Crowes kind of vibe. Singer plays keys instead of guitar... I always like a guitar in a band but they seemed kind of cool regardless. That being said, I didn't lose any sleep over missing most of their set. I/We were there to see Stone Temple Pilots, that was it.

Some people are calling this a greatest hits tour with a negative connotation in the voice. People say that they should wait and tour with new material. I ask these people are they a fan of the band? What is wrong with a greatest hits tour? Aren't these great hits the reason you love this band in the first place? Personally I am glad I got to hear almost every song I wanted. What would be awesome is to have seen last nights show and then they come back next year with the new record. I want my cake and be able to eat it too! I would have however liked to have heard "Big Bang Baby" and "Coma" but hey I will take the fact that I got to hear my favourites "Down" and "Interstate Love Song" still.

The band opened with "Silvergun Superman" and rocked all the way though their fifteen or so song set. I heard one reviewer refer to Scott as a the bands "Too Cool Singer" and you know what? He almost is too cool. While he didn't say much in the form of on stage banter, I am not sure he ever does. He seemed appreciative of the fans the whole time. He did his job and if you ask me the flamboyant front man while maybe he wasn't as manic as he has been, still did a damn fine job. His vocals were spot on and the band was tight as hell. Scott and the boys wailed though their angst-ridden, hard rock hits and proved they still got it.

Drummer Eric Kretz did his part and held it down as the backbone. Robert DeLeo looking like a mafia boss grooved his way through the songs in his black suit and cool as hell sunglasses, while his brother Dean in my opinion stole the show. I have never taken time to really notice Dean DeLeo. He is possibly one of my new favourite guitar players. His tone was awesome and he stage presence was amazing. The man has kind of a Joe Perry feel which is nothing to thumb your nose at. His guitar work and solos gave me goosebumps. He was thick as hell.

After an hour and half set the band graciously ended with their encore consisting of "Dead & Bloated" and "Trippin' on a Hole in a Paper Heart". Other than Scott being a little less manic I got everything I had wanted.

With some less than satisfactory past reviews you can mark Regina down with a kick ass show. I am so glad I got to enjoy it with the boys! It was very cool to witness it with people that have the same appreciation for the band that I do.

If I am correct the set-list is as follows:

Silvergun Superman
Wicked Garden
Vasoline
Big Empty
Lounge Fly
Army Ants
Sour Girl
Creep
Crackerman
Plush
Interstate Love Song
Down
Sex Type Thing
Unglued

Encore
Dead & Bloated
Trippin on a Hole in a Paper Heart

Thank you STP!

Cheers Rockers!

No comments:

Post a Comment