Thursday, November 12, 2009

Justin Townes Earle "Midnight at the Movies"


Photo by Joshua Black Wilkins

I know I am about six months behind, but I felt that the most recent Justin Townes Earle record "Midnight At The Movies" needed a write up.

JTE, son of the Hardcore Troubadour himself Steve Earle put out his third release this year. Justin is stunning storyteller, a young man that proves he is more than perfectly capable of carving his own spot into country music and standing on his own two feet.

So many children of famous stars think they have what it takes because their parents like Jesse Snyder son of Dee Snyder and many others. Fortunately there are some children and grandchildren of country music that have got it such as Hank III, Shooter Jennings and today's feature Justin T Earle.

I have to say the record is nothing short of fantastic... I mean it really does reak of awesomeness!

The record opens with the title track "Midnight At The Movies" which has me picturing live show at a theatre or small room vividly captured by the essence of a young crooners voice and songwriting. The kind of capture where you instantly become a fan of the artist.. a surreal moment. Next is "What I Mean to You" which reminds of of the old school country star commanding attention in an old Hank Williams kind of way... suit and all in piano heavy smoke filled room.

Following this we have "They Killed John Henry" which makes me think of what it would have been like to been at a barn dance in in the 1940's. Fire pit, fiddle, banjo and lots of roots. It's a kind of stand up and be a man kind of song. Have no fear and take on what comes your way.

"Mama's Eyes" "I am my father's son, I've never known when to shut up, I ain't fooling no one, I am my father's son, we don't see eye to eye, and I'll be the first to admit I've never tried, it sure hurts me, it should hurt sometime, we don't see eye to eye." I don't know that I need to say more. Parent/child relationships can be trying, but this will surely allow you to reflect on your own family. I know it did for me.

After the heavy "Mama's Eyes" we need some fun and Justin gives it too us with a thirty second burst of fun with some fret ripping goodness in "Dirty Rag".

"Can't Hardly Wait" is a PERFECT cover at the halfway point of the record. I never thought I would hear a mandolin on a Paul Westerberg track. It's awesome and I am sure Paul Westerberg enjoys this take on his song rather than the thousands of shitty kids covering replacements tunes in attempt to do exactly what the replacements did decades ago while still falling miles short.

"Black Eyed Suzy" is a galloping traditional song, "Poor Fool" is the blueprint of Country music done with JTE's authenticity, "Halfway to Jackson" is a train jumping song with movie-esque kind of vibe.

"Someday I'll Be Forgiven for This" is a story of heartache and betrayal while dealing with the feelings that are left when it's over. Contrasting the previous track, "Walk Out" is a fun little ditty that makes me feel like dancing' while getting pulled off stage with a giant cane. "Here We Go Again" is no not a countrified Whitesnake cover. It's a lullaby original that closes the record nicely.

Steve has to be proud of his son doing it his own way as would Townes would be proud as well. He fits with the blues guys, finger picks with the best of the fast hands and croons as good as the people we grew up on all in less than thirty five minutes.

Well worth a listen or many!

Cheers Friends

No comments:

Post a Comment