Monday, September 14, 2009

The Oprah Winfrey Show Made Me Love Music...


Some of you might recognize this article as a Facebook note I posted early this year. I decided to repost it as a refection of my passion for music in celebration of a 1000 hits. Thanks to all whom have read, enjoyed or hated my articles. It gives me great pleasure to know people read my stuff.

Here it is.

The Oprah Winfrey Show Made Me Love Music...

Ok, that's not entirely true, but one episode did quite the effect on me. I have loved music my whole life, as long as I can recall. When I was 5 or 6 years old in '86/'87ish I was watching "The Oprah Winfrey" show with my mother. That particular day on the show was the cast of 80's sitcom "Growing Pains". The details of the show are foggy, but I vividly remember Oprah convincing Jeremy Miller (Ben) to do an air band. The rest is crystal clear. The song he did was Bob Seger's "Old Time Rock N Roll". I was young but I had to have that song. My mother searched high and low to find me that song. I remember going into A&A Music in Weyburn after finding out what tape it was on with my Mother. Mom decided it was too expensive to buy a cassette for that amount for a first grader that really only wanted it for one song. I don't blame her. She did come through for me however. The husband of my mom's friend Judy had 1981's "Bob Seger - Nine Tonight" on Vinyl and "dubbed" it for me on cassette. I believe I still have that cassette somewhere. I still love every song on it. My friends think I am insane but I will always be love that record and never be able to kill it.

The only other one that sticks out as much is my Aunt's 1978's "Buddy Holly Lives" record. If you have seen my forearm you understand how much these things mean to me.

The first bought record I ever owned was 1984's "Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA". Another one I will forever love.

So...

What is your earliest "AWESOME!!!!" music experience?
What was the record that secured your love for music?
Similar experiences?

PS The theme from Growing Pains is still my favourite TV theme to this day. “Show me that smile again… Show me that smile…”

Bob Seger - We've Got Tonight

No comments:

Post a Comment