Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Messing With My Head - Tinted Windows


Tinted Windows is a sugar covered power-pop supergroup consisting of guitarist James Iha of The Smashing Pumpkins, vocalist Taylor Hanson of Hanson, bassist Adam Schlesinger of Fountains of Wayne and lastly on drums is Bun E. Carlos of Cheap Trick. Taylor and Adam have been friends since the 90's and often threw around the idea of collaborating. James Iha was added to the mix as he and Adam's bands had been touring together and often working on each others records over the years. This is when the idea really started to roll. What they needed was a drummer that could make it a complete unit and they wanted someone like Bun E. Carlos or Cheap Trick. After they discussed every drummer they could think of that may fit the part they opted to do what they should have done originally, which was ask Carlos. Carlos received some demos and after listening, decided he liked what he had heard and he was happy to complete this four piece oddly put together group.

I have listened to this over and over as of late and have come to one conclusion. I had to tell everyone about this band. You might already know that being said I think this record is really gnarly!! So good, like a REALLY POPPY Pink Spiders meets Butch Walker kind of band. It very much reminds me of an band from a few years back out of Saskatoon Saskatchewan called "Slab Drab" because of it's rocking pop sound. Taylor's voice sounds kinda glam and is very androgynous which I think is part of the appeal making this a very straight up power-pop record. A lot of groups just refuse to write good pop, good melodic sing-a-long pop. These four have nailed it. I don't see anything wrong with this. Write your own tunes, be yourself, do it out of passion, don't think it's more than it is and it will be appreciated in some fashion. I have nothing but respect for any band that does this and for sure have all the respect in the world for Tinted Windows. It's not going to make you any smarter or change Rock N Roll much less the world but it will likely make you smile.

Can't Get A Read On You
Tell me what you like
Tell me what you don't
Tell me what you might do
Tell me what you won't
Tell me what you want
Tell me what you need
Tell me won't you please tell me please tell me
Tell me won't you please tell me please tell me
Tell me won't you please tell me please
Cause I can't get a read on you
Can't get a read on you


Like I said it's sure not going to make you any smarter...at all.

This is a bright, cheerful, good natured, fun modern pop record with an element of the 70's and the 80's. I haven't heard a record that was this mindlessly entertaining in years. Don't get me wrong it is mindless but I think it has it's place. If I could describe this album as a moment, it would be occupying the passenger seat of a 50's era red convertible with your feet out the window while cruising down a grid road with your buddy's or a girl that you just met and really dig. Nothing on your mind but fun.

Messing With My Head


Come with me, I will show you the way... come on it's not much farther...

Cheers Rockers!!

1 comment:

  1. I've only heard a couple tunes from this "super group" but I like what I hear so far. It may be mindless, but at least they're smart about it....

    -JJ

    ReplyDelete