Friday, December 4, 2009

Frankie Whyte and the Dead Idols – The Killer Demo’s!


Frankie Whyte and the Dead Idols are a killer Toronto band ripping up their scene. To me Frankie Whyte sounds like if you melded Noelle Leblanc of Damone and Suzi Quatro’s voices together, just a little snottier. I like it... who am I kidding I love it. She is joined by the Dead Idols consisting of talented Danny C on guitar/vox and Zach O’Rourke on bass. The band as a group have a great pop sensibility, and an ear for great melody that is almost Cheap Trick like mixed with a little late eighties Alice Cooper feel to it. The band reminds me of a thousand bands in little ways but it’s all done with their own contemporary rocking spin. They are no one else other than Frankie Whyte and the Dead Idols.

Frankie the band are very committed to their fans. They regularly post updates from their youtube channel and make themselves accessible via twitter, facebook and myspace. All this and they still find time to record and tour the eastern side of Canada.

With their ep “Hollywood Ending” under their belt the band still keeps momentum going strong. They have continually put up new demos for fans to hear such as “Me Against You!” the brand new one “Bullets (We Won't Work It Out)” and my own personal favourite “Right There”.

“Me Against You!” is fun little rock song packed with some fantastic guitar work that blends perfectly with the vocal melody. “Bullets” is that soundtrack ready kind of song. It has that really contemplative kind of vibe. It’s the kind of song that is very therapeutic, like going for a walk by yourself kind of song. At first I wasn’t sure about the effect used on the toms as it’s kind of echoic almost like it’s coming from a cave or under water or both. That being said, after a couple listens I wouldn’t change a thing. The song really comes into it’s own at about the half way mark. Lastly of the three brand newish demos is my favourite “Right There”. This song is perfect. I want to sing it with Frankie. I am sucker for gang vocals but that’s not all. Every aspect of the song is great from the music to the vox. The entire song is one incredible hook. When ever I listen to this song I smile… it’s failsafe.

I can’t wait for Frankie and the guys to come out west… can’t wait!

So do yourself a favour and check out FWDI at www.myspace.com/frankiewhyteandthedeadidols as soon as possible. They would appreciate to hear from you.

Cheers Rockers,

No comments:

Post a Comment