Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Civet: Love & War

Sisters Liza Graves and Suzi Homewrecker have had a busy year. In a year of touring, replacing members and taking time for their fans, the girls managed to release their sophomore record on Hellcat Records just a couple weeks ago. Civet are a 4 piece punk-rock 'n' roll band based out of California. I am not going to tell you what 70’s girl group or 80’s punk band they have similar sounds of 'cause quite frankly I am getting tired of hearing it as I am sure they are. Civet is a balls-to-the-wall punk-rock 'n' roll band with the furious Suzi Homwrecker on lead guitar and the ferocious Liza Graves on lead vox and rhythm guitar.

I rated this record 3.5 out of 5, which I admit doesn’t sound great, but it’s really not a bad score. Here is why. It’s a really good record but I simply prefer their debut ‘Hell Hath No Fury’ marginally. ‘Love & War’ is better than most bands in their genre. I feel that as time goes on I will reach for HHNF more. That being said, one should not be afraid to pick up this record. In fact I encourage it.

I am a fan of vinyl and the way punk rocks bands in the 70’s did it. 5 tracks on each side and a running time of 35 minutes or so. If the girls had done a 10 song record of 3:30 min songs I think it would have packed a bigger punch.

I enjoy polished records that are well produced with bands that slay live. Remember Vancouver’s monochrome punks the Black Halos or Toronto’s Robin Black? Yeah, like that. HHNF nailed that idea and the girls almost did it again here. For the most part they still do on this one. The first song ‘Can’t Go Back,’ for example, is the perfect segway between records. The thunderous bass and ferocious guitar are really intense on this track. ‘Deadbeat’ is another speedy angst-filled little ditty, ‘I’m Not The One’ explodes in true punk rock fashion and ‘Go Underground’ could have been an ‘Out Come The Wolves’ era Rancid tune… if Billy Hopeless of the Halos got his hands on it.

One dimensional Civet are not. They try their hands at an almost punk country song with ‘It’s The Truth,’ which compliments their boot-in-the-face punk rock. Love & War is a great first effort as far as producing is concerned. I commend the girls for doing it on their own. Musically and live, their chops exceed the standard ten fold. Lyrically it has a lot more grown up feel than their previous effort. This record is really raw and honest so poseurs these girls are not. My only beef is that I would say it sometimes valley’s when it should be peaking. ‘Cryin Wolf’ could be shortened; the A Capella in my opinion could be dropped and 5 minute long songs for this style of music could be 2½ - 3½ minute songs.

On this 14 track record, I really dig 10 of them a lot. I cannot wait to see these girls again live. EVERY song is rad live. I am anxious to see what’s in store for their 3rd album. If the girls in Civet continue to grow there is no doubt how great the accomplishments they will achieve in the future and the blistering records that will come out of it. If you get a chance to say hello, do so. Last fall when they were here in Regina with Nashville Pussy, the girls were super friendly and a lot of fun to chat and hang with. After meeting Liza you’ll wonder how that booming voice comes out of that little body.


Highlights: Can't Go Back, Deadbeat, Buy My Love, I'm Not The One and Go Underground

Tell Your Friends

Civet - Buy My Love (Audio Only)


Cheers Rockers,

No comments:

Post a Comment