Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Kent Rocks' Top Five Cover Records

Cover records are fun. You get to hear (or hair in some cases) a collection of songs that you love redone by a band you probably love. I mean people have made careers of it; look at Me First & the Gimme Gimmes for example. I realized recently I have a few of these albums and decided to make a top five. I did not count tribute records by one artist for one artist. I only included ones by one artist covering multiple artists.

Without further a do, prepare to disagree with me.

5. Poison ‘Poison’d!’ 2007

I have a love/hate thing with this band. I can help liking them as much as they can help being the talented players they are (please know what I did there). That fact is Poison was always a party band that played anthemetic party songs and tear jerking ballads. Some of the covers on this record are new and some are old. I usually don't look past the ‘Doin’ It For A Pay Cheque’ type record thing but I can’t help but really enjoy this one. On this one I think they do KISS better than KISS.

Anyways here are the highlights: Suffragette City (David Bowie), I Need To Know (Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers) and Just What I Needed (Cars)


4. Wildhearts ‘Stop Us If You’ve Heard This One Before’ Vol 1 2008

The Wildhearts just might be front runner for my favourite band in the last few years. Styles from metal to hard rock to punk to power pop, the Hearts have the rock’n’roll bases covered. It’s probably oddest collection of covers. This record has the bands influences and those influences are probably the only common thing across the board. Switching it up all the time are the musical stylings of Fugazi, Descendents, Warren Zevon and many more

… like the Wildhearts needed to prove they could do it better than GG Allin… but they did.

Highlights: Understanding Jane (Icicle Works), Battleship Chains (Georgia Satellites) and Carmelita (Warren Zevon)

3. Mike Ness ‘Under The Influences’ 1999

Mike Ness is no stranger to covers. On ‘Under the Influences’ he carefully selects a string of country, rock and bluegrass wonders. It was a record that would be a little lighter after the heavy and dark ‘White Light, White Heat White Trash’ he released 3 years earlier. He even covers his own song from Social Distortion’s self titled album ‘Ball and Chain’ in a honky tonk fashion that deems it fit for a cover record.

Highlights: I Fought the Law (Sonny Curtis), All I Can Do Is Cry (Wayne Walker) and Wild Wood Flower (Carter Family)

2. Hellacopters ‘Head Off’ 2008

In 2008 just before parting ways, the Hellacopters of Sweden put out a record loaded with the best songs you’ve never heard. Seriously. Head Off was released to show their fans acts that the band felt their fans should know about and listen to. Much to the bands dismay, it had a similar reaction from their fans that Gun N Roses got after the ‘Spaghetti Incident?’ which was released 15 years earlier. They had fans not overly thrilled. They had fans that thought this record was too clean and too pop for the dirty rock’n’rollers the Hellacopters. I stand beside it as number two on the list

Highlights: Electrocute (Demons), Midnight Angels (Peep Shows) and Darling Darling (Royal Cream)

1. Guns N’ Roses ‘Spaghetti Incident?’ 1993

The title refers was an inside joke regarding a food fight between former drummer Steven Adler and Axl Rose. The record was a disappointment to fans of Gun N Roses and also to the fans of the 70’s and 80’s glam punk scene. Many questioned the authenticity of the record and didn’t believe it was angry or honest enough. I think it’s one of the best selections of covers ever put out. Even if I may be the only one. That being said, what record is complete without a hidden track written by wacko Charlie Manson entitled ‘Look At Your Game Girl’?

Highlights: Down On The Farm (U.K. Subs), Ain’t It Fun (Dead Boys) and I Don’t Care About You (Fear)


Cheers Rockers!!

Thanks for checking out the top five cover records as chosen by me.


No comments:

Post a Comment