Monday, December 13, 2010

An Interview with The Villain Avian Symphony’s Denyss McKnight


A while back I got to thinking that I need to write an article or do an interview on a genre that I am not as familiar with. I have written a lot about rock’n’roll, some punk, some country and a lot of pop, but virtually no metal.

So I decided to that I needed to interview someone with a fresh new project… baby fresh. It had to be someone in the metal scene. If I reviewed someone from this vast genre it may come off uneducated or even ignorant based on my lack on knowledge on the subject. The way I see it, what better way to familiarize myself with a genre that I am not as familiar with, than to do an interview?

I was fortunate enough that the first person I thought of was more than happy to let me pick his brain.

Denyss McKnight has played in various notable bands in the Vancouver area. Some of these bands are artists such as hardcore act Until We Have Faces, the monochrome glam-punks the Black Halos and industrial/cyberpunk band Left Spine Down.

I first ran across Denyss at a show here in Regina while he was playing with one of his previous bands. He instantly caught my eye and I knew there was something really special about this man. Last year I got to know Denyss better when he came through with another band. I enjoy talking music with someone who obviously has a lot of experience and diverse interests when it comes to his craft. One can learn a lot from him.

Without further ado here is an interview with my friend of The Villain Avian Symphony, Denyss McKnight.

SPUN: Do you remember what first sparked your passion for music? Did you grow up in a musical family?


DM: Ever since I’ve had any kind of sentient thought I’ve been a musician. I was playing two-handed scales before I could even properly ride a bike. My parents are still in a band and are a constant source of encouragement. Not that they ever really understood what I was into, I believe at one point they even confiscated my Nine Inch Nails and Slayer records. They couldn’t turn me onto Stevie Ray Vaughn to save their lives, but they did get me into Muddy Waters in a big way. So, go them.


SPUN: How would you describe your band’s sound to someone who hadn’t heard the music before?

DM: I can’t remember who, but someone described us as “metal songs written by punks who are way too into hardcore with a bunch of electronics on top of it.” I think I’m going to stick with that as far as general description.


SPUN: What is your local metal scene like and how are metal bands received in Vancouver in general?

DM: We are really blessed right now in Vancouver as far as the metal scene. There really isn’t any separation in the sub-cultures anymore. So much genre crossing has left everyone knowing each other and going to each other’s shows and just growing at a rapid pace. Vancouver is starting to become a metal city again. Devin Townsend’s solo show sold out beyond capacity. Over 300 showed up to a local metal festival. Production companies are putting on shows regularly and getting their numbers in. GOOD bands are starting up and playing out as often as they can. I could list off at least 15 bands that I see at every opportunity.


SPUN: There is a lot of metal bands out there. Why should someone come see your band?

DM: I don’t think it’s self-deprecating to say I often ask myself that question. Maybe that’s why I try to keep it interesting and as genuine as possible. This band is all about guts and effect. We’re not nearly as skilled as half of the bands out there so we make up for it in sincerity. Not saying that more well- crafted bands don’t have that quality either, but I think there really is something vicious and visceral about the VAS. There, that was almost alliteration.


SPUN: The name The Villain Avian Symphony really intrigues me. What was the thought process when naming the band and/or what inspired you in terms of the name?

DM: In reference to myself obsession with ravens and crows. Simple as that. Symphony in reference to well, I never actually thought that this would ever be a live band so I just laid down track after track after track etc. Making the wall of sound. Now, I have a new challenge.

No process, it just came to me before I went to sleep one night. I woke up and went “Fuck yeah” over my coffee.

The acronym sounds tough. Like a gang or an organized crime syndicate.


SPUN: I read in your Beatroute article that there will be a revolving door of band members? Tell me about this. Do you think that this will complicate the writing process or even planning tours and such?

DM: I really wish I hadn’t of made that comment truthfully. At the time I said it the intent was only ever to do a few shows here and there while everyone was in town. After rehearsals started I felt more and more like it was something I was actually into doing on at least a semi regular basis and I need a band to do that. So I’ve been headhunting people down and the process is actually quite easy. I found a drummer instantly and I’ve been speaking to a ton of guitarists who are interested in doing it. Picking the right people to work with will be hard, there are so many factors at play as far as what we want out of band-mates. I would like this thing to actually, pardon the pun, take flight.


SPUN: Where do you draw inspiration from?

DM: Everything really. Sometimes things just hit me the right way and I suddenly have a new take and perspective on them. The first batch of songs were written during a really…difficult period of my life so it’s a lot of internal struggle and reconciled notions were worked through during the process. Fear, depression and anger were at the forefront of my world for a solid year and it took a while to really pull out of it. Lyrically I can afford to be a little more free now that I’m not so inwardly turned. I have an elaborate belief structure as far as my politics, spirituality and personal stances, but I try to stay away from them as much as possible in order to not be pigeonholed as a “political hardcore” band or an “insert religion here” metal band. Some days I need to use a fictional character to get my idea across, some days I don’t mind displaying something of myself in order to really squeeze the intent out of the song. I draw inspiration from being alive and all that comes with it. Is that a cop-out answer?


SPUN: Has being in a wide variety of bands been beneficial to the new project? If so what did you learn from past projects?

DM: Oh bloody hell yes. Mostly? I’ve learned not to put the brakes on something because it doesn’t fit into the mold. I’ve never once scrapped an idea because it’s “too poppy” or “not VAS enough”. When I think back on how many songs I’ve written were shot down because they didn’t fit the appropriate pattern, it makes my nose bleed.

I learned how to be professional when it’s called for, how to let loose and be an asshole when it’s needed and mostly to be able to compromise while holding fast to your idea.


SPUN: What are The Villain Avian Symphony's plans for the upcoming new year?

DM: We are talking about recording at the moment, we have an EP that’s being mixed but that was only the efforts of myself and Justin and Shane(of 3 Inches of Blood). Now that I’ve got a band coming together, I’m more focused on actually writing as a unit. Telford(bass) and I have been writing a lot and working out some of my pre-written material. Offers have come in for shows and tours as far as Montreal so that’s something I’d like to look into when I feel that we’ve really nailed down what we’re doing and have a good chemistry on stage.


SPUN: What is your fondest career highlight so far? Anything you are itching to do that you haven't done yet?

DM: I’ve had the chance to meet, exchange ideas and share the stage with so many amazing musicians that I couldn’t even nail down one. I’ve been really fortunate to have done the things that I’ve done at my age and I’m really grateful for every opportunity I’ve had. I’ve accomplished more than I ever set out to do, so at this point I’m at a point where I’m kind of like, “Fuck it, let’s do it again!”.


SPUN: What has been your biggest challenge been? Have you been able to overcome that challenge?

DM: My biggest challenge so far has been learning to incorporate the live electronics into the set. The whole thing used to mystify me and I had to learn to do it efficiently and flawlessly. It’s more work than I thought it was going to be but now that the first show has come and gone without a single glitch, I feel that I’ve overcome it yes. My next challenge is being the best frontman I can be. That will just have to come with time and experience.


SPUN: Are there any plans for an upcoming full-length album or other releases? Videos?

DM: Full length, definitely. I’ve already named it, now it’s just a matter of writing it. I have dozens of half finished songs in the vault but when the time comes to actually put something out, I hope we have the chance to work with someone who actually understands what we’re doing and helps us really define our sound. I don’t have much in the way of artistic integrity but I do know what I want from this band and I would like to see it achieved. As far as videos? I couldn’t even tell you what I would look for visually. That’s Telford’s department.


SPUN: Where are your best crowds after countless tours to different countries/cities?

DM: Spain and Germany know how to throw down when it counts. You can’t fool the Germans, they know what they want and they’ll tell you if you didn’t deliver. Spaniards are just so…intense and open. But really, in the end, I love my homeland and my countrymen. The True North, Strong and Free.



Now for some general interest questions for Denyss McKnight:

SPUN: If you weren't a musician, what profession do you think you would have taken up?

DM: I’ve been delving into that as I get a bit older. I’m noticing things that I excel at and I hope I have the chance one day to explore them a bit more fully. At the moment I’m actually filling out applications to culinary institutes. Go figure.


SPUN: What bands and albums have you been listening to lately?

DM: I’ve really gone back into my hardcore days as of late. I’m spinning a lot of Converge, Curl Up and Die, Botch, old Zao, Shai Hulud etc. For the past year or so I’ve been really into Gallows. To me they’re the perfect marriage(or divorce depending on how you look at it) of hardcore, rock & roll and traditional punk rock.

To get ideas for electronic elements I’m still really digging on Meat Beat Manifesto and Clint Mansel. I would love it if I had people to throw me new music that they thought was cool. Or that they thought I would think is cool. My friends from Belgium Psy’Aviah always put me in a good mood and when I’m slightly enraged, there’s this great French project called Jabberwock that does the job.


SPUN: What's the most embarrassing record in your collection?

DM: Depends on your view of embarrassing. I listen to Neil Diamond and George Jones unabashedly. I really like Justin Timberlake. I even own records by My Chemical Romance.

I have all of my old Fat Wreckchords stuff in my iTunes.

I’m generally always shy about having my own records in my collection…?


SPUN: What was the first record you ever bought and do you still own it?

DM:> First record as an actual musical lover? Like, first cassette I ever bought with my own money? Pennywise ‘About Time’. And yes, I still do have it and revisit it from time to time.

If anyone says it’s not a good surf punk record, they’re obviously trying to be more punk rock than you. Poser.


Visit them on Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/thevillainaviansymphony
Visit them on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/notifications.php#!/pages/The-Villain-Avian-Symphony/139932226032617

Cheers Rockers

Photo courtesy of Agata Majda

No comments:

Post a Comment