Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The National - High Violet



I had huge expectations for The National's latest album since their last full-length, Boxer, remains one of my favourite albums of the last few years. As well, I was fortunate enough to see them live when they opened up for R.E.M. and Modest Mouse a couple years ago. When I picked up this album almost a month ago I was initially disappointed. However, over the last couple weeks it has REALLY grown on me. I think part of the reason is that The National released the album when the weather here in Regina was prematurely Summer-like. Since this band's music combines elements of Nick Cave, The Velvet Underground, Joy Division and Leonard Cohen, it's not ideally suited for bright sunny days. Jimmy Buffett this ain't.

So maybe it's the turn in weather that has made me appreciate this album that much more. Since it's been raining almost non-stop I've had a chance to really absorb this album. High Violet demands your attention. With each successive listen, this album's charms trickle out until it finally becomes mesmerizing and stunning. It's pretty much a flawless album. Each of the 11 songs (plus iTunes bonus track "Walk Off") blends seamlessly into the next, creating a moody atmosphere which is perfect for late nights or early mornings. Singer Matt Berninger, with his rich, deep baritone, and his band create the perfect soundtrack for people in their late 20's and early 30's. Their songs aren't sad or gloomy... they're just realistic. For instance, every adult can relate to lines like "I still owe money to the money I owe." This is guaranteed to be on my shortlist for album for the year.

You can check out the video for their excellent first single "Bloodbuzz Ohio" below.





No comments:

Post a Comment