Saturday, September 5, 2009

Bad Kid: An Interview with Adam Becvare of The Lust Killers, The New Lords Of Church and The Black Halo's


He writes the songs that make the young girls cry... He rights the wrongs that make the old girls sigh. He's resurrected Vancouver's monochrome punks The Black Halo's... He brought new life to 80's supergroup The Lords Of the New Church... and he's the brains behind Chicago's "LUSTKILLERS". I am proud to give to you an interview with one Adam Becvare...

SPUN I really like this quote of yours and found it on your facebook group for the Lustkillers and thought it was a great way to start. "If all we leave this place with is memories, I'm filling mine with the best I can find." As someone who currently plays with The Lustkillers, The Lords of the New Church when needed and The Black Halos you must have some pretty great memories so far. Is there a big memory musically that stands out?

AB Thank You. Gotta make those memories with the best people you can find too. Musically, I thoroughly enjoyed making those Halos albums with Jack Endino. I learned a lot with Jack. Halloween '007 with The Lords in London really stands out though. It was billed as the Lords 25th Anniversary and filled with longtime fans and close friends of the band/Stiv. We really smashed the set brilliant and Brian(James) was just on fire the whole night, really goin for it. It was so flattering to impress that crowd and Brian. I mean, Bri started punkrock with the Damned. When ya make him smile it's like the gods shining down on ya. ...Brian smiled the entire night. There's some pretty harsh bootlegs still makin their way out from that night at 100club. Try http://www.lustkillers.com/Halloween007.mp3
A big memory that stands out for the wrong reasons is the album I did with The Lords. We knocked out the 10 songs for "Hang On" in just one week. We were really onto something at the end of it when I left Brighton, but the project was hijacked and another vocalist demanded his parts be added and laid all over it. I should never have left without a mix of what we had. Haunts me to this day. That other "vocalist" hijacked The Lords trademarks/logos for five years. It was another reason why the '007 show tasted so sweet.

SPUN When did you form your band The Lustkillers? What inspired you to make music together?

AB I was coming off goth/industrial, addiction and cancer. I was on court ordered anti-depressants from a "suicide reversed" and really tryin to get my head together. I'd damaged my speech and motor skills from an overdose and was relearning to play guitar. As you can imagine, I was filled with overwhelming frustration. Grunge ruled the earth and only added to that. I desperately craved punk rock n roll.
LustKillers as a concept began in Chicago, just before I moved to NYC. My players however at that time were unable to pursue music as their career. I was devastated and ended up selling first rights on 30 songs for 5 years. When I revisited the songs in 2001, it seemed the world had finally caught up to my music. Then in SF, I decided to only do LustKillers again with good friends, so it was always for selfish reasons and in between other projects, ie: American Heartbreak, Lords, Black Halos.

SPUN What was the first record you ever bought and do you still own it?

AB Hmmm. I've moved coast to coast to coast and everywhere in between. My vinyl now resides in dads vault. I think my first album was either Ted Nugent "FreeForAll" or Kiss "Rock n Roll Over."

SPUN As a vocalist, a lead guitar player and a song writer you must have some pretty diverse hero's/influences. Do you have a top three? What are you embarrassed to be a fan of?

AB Attitude and intent go a very long way with me. Jim Carroll's still very potent to me. Tim Armstrong is this generation's Jim Carroll. Tim's cadence makes so much out of so little. I love his songwriting. I prefer that storyteller approach. I don't have a traditional singing voice so people like Ace Frehley, Wendy O Williams, Stiv, Ted Nugent were important in showing me I'd have a place singing. Guitarwise, I can now hear where the danger of Bri James (Damned/Lords) and the live abandon of Rick Neilsen (Cheap Trick) affected how I play. Even Bob Andrews (GenerationX) was nice and reckless to me. You may be disgusted to know, around the house I still listen to a lot of DarkWave or just wallpaper Electronica like Hybrid, Fluke, Etc. I get my share of rock every night on tour and in the transit. If it moves me, I'm not really embarrassed to like it but I do attempt to keep it to myself.

SPUN The Lustkillers are based out of Chicago and The Black Halos are based out of Vancouver. How is making a go at the music business different in Canada rather than the US?

AB When I started up with Halos in 2004, I was stunned by the amount of support Canada provided there. As the years passed thought it has seemed to merge more and more into the American way. I think the final nail was when Halos was turned down for its grant doing "We Are Not Alone." The Govt instead felt Bryan Adams needed it. True Story.

SPUN I understand the Lustkillers are working on a full length record. Is there a title and how is the process coming?

AB Our Rep Mike Adamany has sat so long in the studio that he's named it "Balls Gone Dead" but I have other plans.... This has been the first real chance Ive had making an album where I get to listen to it. That's been fantastic. I loathe the studio cuz there's usually too many chefs and too little time but this summer it's been just me here in Chicago jail cell 307.

SPUN Do you have plans to tour Canada and the UK in support of the new record?

AB Canada is definately on LustKillers radar. I left a lot of great friends storming across Canada with Halos. Canada's gonna love the LustKillers. Gonna need good proper rep and release up there, it's a lot of territory to cover. I've never toured UK. Even with Lords. I'd love to finally change that. It's difficult having fans there and not being able to play for them.

SPUN It must have been intense being asked to front the Lords of the New Church, What was your reaction?

AB Originally LustKillers were supposed to support Lords on their Reformation Tour but when they heard LK's Demos (Black Sugar Sessions), they changed their minds and instead asked me to sing. I wasn't sure even after Bri (James) called me, cuz no one can replace Stiv. Then, Dave (Tregunna) rang me and I realized how much they missed it. I agreed to only do it if I got to play guitar. This way no one expected me to hang myself from the rafters. Straight from the first note of rehearsal if felt so familiar and good. I really sang the piss outta them tunes live and made so many fans happy to hear the stuff. It's wild to see videos from Lords 03 Tour just now popping up on youtube.com Great to realize on tour how badly Stiv is Missed.

SPUN When you go on tour what do you listen to on the road? Is there anything the fans may not expect you to listen to we would hear on the van/bus?

AB I been spinning a lot of lesser known rock for LustKillers. Not unexpected but maybe unknown.... Godfathers, Romantics, The Figgs, the Angels/Angel City. Surprises would be New Model Army, Red Lorry Yellow Lorry, Big Black, Manic Street Preachers, Public Enemy, Marz, Ratt. I try to keep the embarrassing stuff to myself & Ipod... Stone Roses, Peaches, Polyphonic Spree, Go-Go's, Sade. Late night on Halos drives Robbie Halo and I would blast My Life with Thrill Kill Kult and declare a VanDanceParty.

SPUN What was the last day job you worked and did you know all along that you would make to this level in music at the time?

AB I left the UC Berkeley Athletic Computer lab to join The Lords. I've done stuff behind the scenes for production teams at venues but the Unions in Chicago clamp down. I live very comfortably here in Chicago. People can't understand why I would ever leave my westloop condo to tour the way I do. Honestly though, it means nothing to me if I can't play. Painters Paint. I didn't expect to make it this far in life. I've beaten a lot of odds, health and incidents.

SPUN What hasn't Adam Becvare done that he is really itching to do, with now or eventually?

AB "Build a house. Paint a Self- Portrait" - Fight Club... sorry couldn't resist. I really need to tour Japan. I got some serious business to take care of in Japan. Bri keeps checking in monthly bout doing more Lords. Honestly I'd really like to be finished with my 3 LustKillers release by now with Canada, UK and others under the belt.

SPUN Do you have any other hobbies besides, obviously, making music?

AB I started golf about 3 yrs ago. It's the only interaction I have with nature, trees n such. I bike heavily in Chicago late at night. So many musicians/singers jog now but that just moves too slow for me. Got a cyclocross bike, it's more of a weapon.

SPUN Do you have a worst show story any major train wrecks?

AB I have this love/hate voodoo relationship with electricity. Everythings fine until i step onstage. My tuner freaks or I have absolutely no sound. It's Uncanny and sickening. I also ALWAYS get the worse mike stand and monitor in the house. Everyone just rolls their eyes when I complain about my monitor...Prima Donna. End of show they're like.. hey, this monitor's blown! I been wearing 1 ear plug since '96 just to hear myself. The other is deaf. I think my Halos Vancouver show with NY Dolls was my personal worst but there's just too many train wrecks in that Black Halos file to list just one. You don't play in a band with a guy named Hopeless, called Black Halos and not expect it.

SPUN You have a pretty full plate and bright future with LK right now by the looks of it. I wondering if there is future plans for the Halos and are you in them? I ask this because the records you wrote, toured and recorded for are my two personal favorite of all their great records. Seems like the ball was really starting to roll again for the Halos and yourself.

AB Thank you. I was so stoked to join up with the Halos. I had lots of ideas and inertia to get them up and running again. I had to have. I was constantly leaving my imitation palatial estate to surf sofas up there for 'em. Between that and touring, I was never home.
I really feel we got all we wanted out of "Alive Without Control."
"We Are Not Alone" was like pulling teeth though. The members changed and I was stuck in the game pulling their weight. Inevitably, the theft in Montreal destroyed the entire investment. Halos lost everything and our weapons to fight back with. Even so, we attempted Europe immediately after but the debt was too great to recover. In the end, No one was there for The Black Halos. We Were All Alone. I hear rumours Bill is gonna continue but it's gonna be impossible for him to find another Robbie, Rich or I to make anything happen. Nothing has since June 08.

SPUN What would you consider the highlight of your career so far and why?

AB Bun E Carlos (Cheap Trick) rocked with me on my 25th Birthday, Lords '003/Lords '007, Alive without Control and now LustKillers... I keep surprising myself and I just had two songs used in a film. Never even considered that. In the first 6 months of '009 LustKillers toured the west coast, east coast, europe, west coast again and tracked another 15 songs. The highlight would be that this band that I kept sacred to do for myself, has become so productive. I never expected to have the Black Sugar demos pressed let alone on vinyl.

SPUN How can fans-to-be gain access to your music? Do you have a website with sample songs or a demo CD?

AB There are samples on the music page of http://www.lustkillers.com as well as http://www.myspace.com/lustkillers. Once the new album is released, full versions of the others will be available at itunes. Until then, the 8 song "Black Sugar Sessions" is available on CD and Vinyl at http://www.nicotinerecords.com Orders are also still taken via paypal LustKiller@aol.com

SPUN Lastly just give me two words to end this interview.

AB Phenomenon Anomaly ....... feels good tryin to say it.

http://www.myspace.com/lustkillers

adam

"LustKillers European Promo"

3 comments:

  1. This on Black Halos From ChartAttack

    http://www.chartattack.com/news/74754/black-halos-break-up

    ReplyDelete
  2. BUY
    The LustKillers - Black Sugar Sessions

    Now Avaialble at Itunes

    http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/black-sugar-sessions/id336440308#iTunes

    ReplyDelete
  3. .....The LustKillers Are Coming.

    East US Tour Dates
    Thurs July 15th-MADISON, WI @ Club Inferno
    Fri July 16th-ROCKFORD, IL @ Kryptonite
    Sat July 17th-CHICAGOLAND @ TBA
    Sun July 18th-SOUTH BARRINGTON, IL @ Penny Road Pub w/PRIMA DONNA
    Tues July 20th-CINCINNATI, OH @ The Comet w/The WHORENETTES
    Wed July 21st-ERIE, PA @ To Be Confirmed
    Thurs July 22nd-ROCHESTER, NY @ Montage Music Hall w/The VEINS, ++
    Fri July 23rd-RUTLAND, VT @ Flipside Skatepark (ALL AGES)
    Sat July 24th-BOSTON, MA @ To Be Confirmed
    Sun July 25th-WORCESTER, MA @ Ralph's Diner w/DEMONS ALLEY, ++
    Tues July 27th-BROOKLYN, NY @ Trash Bar
    Wed July 28th-NY, NY @ The Delancey *Free BBQ from 7-10 & Burlesque!*
    Thurs July 29th-BALTIMORE, MD @ To Be Confirmed w/FISHNET STALKERS, +
    Fri July 30th-PHILADELPHIA, PA @ The Khyber w/FISHNET STALKERS, ++
    Sat July 31st-CLEVELAND, OH @ Spitfire Saloon w/TBC
    Sun Aug 1st-DAYTON, OH @ South Park Tavern w/LUXURY PUSHERS

    "Rootsy, roiling and dark, The Lustkillers must be doing something right with their brew of stirring post-punk that stands out in an age of salon-bred emo and over-coiffed MTV-brand hardcore.

    Little wonder that the nucleus of the band, one Adam Becvare — a rock 'n’ roll legend in his own right — was tapped in 2003 by Brian James (The Damned) and Dave Tregunna (Sham 69) to front their reformed Lords of the New Church in place of late punk great Stiv Bators (Dead Boys).

    What convinced them: The Black Sugar Sessions,
    a series of unreleased LustKillers recordings that took the mythical route that’s all but disappeared in the digital age: circulated hand-to-hand and hyped by word-of-mouth.
    It’s old-school elements like that continue to shape The Lustkillers vibe.
    Heck, check out their charmingly bare-bones website www.LustKillers.com it’s closest thing you’ll get to a web version of a hand-written record sleeve."


    -Download LUSTKILLERS "Black Sugar Sessions" from Itunes-
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/do-i-love-you/id336440308?i=336440537&ign-mpt=uo%3D6%2522

    or

    Download the Tunes In Person when they hit your ears live this Summer!


    http://www.facebook.com/lustkillers
    http://www.myspace.com/lustkillers
    http://www.lustkillers.com/

    Contact:
    thelustkillers@gmail.com

    Mike Adamany / Foot2Face Productions
    mike@foot2face.com

    ReplyDelete